GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS: Answer all items in your journal using complete sentences of English.
Instructions: Answer each question in complete, well-formed sentences of English. Do NOT copy the text of the paper verbatim, but phrase things in your own words. Give the page number of the article on which you found the answer.
1. What is a dialogue? When, according to Walton, is a dialogue coherent?
2. Describe each of the five main types of dialogue Walton discusses in the article. Be sure to give the purpose of each main type and list the subtypes of dialogue associated with it.
3. Walton says that critical discussions have a maieutic function. What does this mean? Additionally, explain what means when he says that quarrels have a cathartic function.
4. Explain Walton's notion of a dialectical shift. How did the students in Gumperz's studies know that one had occurred?
5. Explain both of two ways in which "sharp and definite" dialectical shifts occur: deplacements and glissements.
6. What is a mixed dialogue? How is it different from an embedded dialogue?