Steven W. Patterson, Ph.D.,
Associate Professor of Philosophy,
Detroit, MI, USA
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Informal Logic and Argumentation Theory
- Social and Political Philosophy
AREAS OF COMPETENCE
- Ancient Philosophy
- Philosophy of Law
- East Asian Philosophy
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- The history of the concept of judgment in philosophy and it's relationship to theories of argumentation, reasoning and dialogue.
- Argumentation in public discourse, democratic theory (especially problems relating to public reason) deep disagreement, deliberation, pluralism and political participation on religious grounds
OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST
- I own and maintain the blog RAIL: Reasoning Argumentation and Informal Logic, which serves the international community of argumentation scholars.
- Sept 2011 marks the beginning of my third consecutive year as a Visiting Research Fellow with the Centre for Research in Reasoning, Argumentation and Rhetoric (CRRAR) at the University of Windsor.
- I was interviewed about my work in 2010 by the Marygrove public relations department. You can read the interview here.
- You can read more about my ongoing research projects and activities on my blog.
You can contact me by sending an e-mail to spatterson (at) marygrove (dot) edu or through this website by filling out this form and pressing the "send" button: