Steven W. Patterson, Ph.D.,
Professor of Philosophy,
Detroit, MI, USA
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Critical Thinking, Informal Logic, and Argumentation Theory
- Social and Political Philosophy
AREAS OF COMPETENCE
- Ancient Philosophy
- Philosophy of Law
- East Asian Philosophy
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- I am developing a model of argumentation that frames it in collaborative terms according to principles of (roughly) Gricean pragmatics and group agency per Michael Bratman.
- I am also working on the theoretical underpinnings of multi-model arguments with a special emphasis on the pragmatic process of extracting verbal arguments from multi-modal (e.g. visual, filmic, etc.) presentations.
OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST
- I own and maintain the blog RAIL: Reasoning Argumentation and Informal Logic, which serves the international community of argumentation scholars.
- Much of my research is done as a Visiting Research Fellow with the Centre for Research in Reasoning, Argumentation and Rhetoric (CRRAR) at the University of Windsor in Canada.
- I was interviewed about my work in 2010 by the Marygrove public relations department. You can read the interview here.
- You can read more about my ongoing research projects and activities on my blog.
You can contact me by sending an e-mail to spatterson (at) marygrove (dot) edu or through this website by filling out this form and pressing the "send" button: